Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Iron Mountain

At the end of October, Dad, Patrick, Steve Dockstader, Kathy Rodean, and I made an ascent of Iron Mountain out in East County, San Diego. It's a 6.5 mile hike with about a 1000-foot gain (Lat:32.972N Lon:116.977W). It was a nice, cool, cloudy morning and we had a lovely time. I wouldn't call it crowded, but we did see more people than I've ever seen on a trail at one time. Old people, young people, dog people, running people...lots of people! Which is good! If lots of people use parks they won't close them and turn them into McMansion colonies.

(click on any photo to see a larger version)

Here we are setting out at the crack of dawn. Note dad's razor: a well-kempt hiker is a happy hiker. Patrick's face exudes joy at being up early to witness the miracle of the dawning of a new day.


Patrick finishes the last few drops of his special hiking tea (bourbon) and gets ready to hit the trail:


Devil bunny!


The target: Iron Mountain:


I was in last place, yes, but only because I was carrying a generator and all the stereo equipment:


It didn't seem like anyone was going to take a picture of me, so I took one of myself:


This is what hiking looks like:


Trail wolf!!!


Patrick strikes a visionary pose at the summit:


Dad, Steve, and Kathy check out the view:


Kathy, Patrick, Dad, and Steve


Die Männer Meaney:


Here's how people look at you when you climb up on a rock:


We found a sparkling natural spring. Patrick drank some of the water and then didn't talk much for the rest of the day:

No comments: