Friday, October 3, 2008

Chowchilla snaps

I just came across these photos I took in Chowchilla, CA, a few months ago. It's a tiny little agrarian town out by Fresno. A lot of people know it as the location of the Chowchilla Bus Kidnapping (1976) which is a pretty amazing story (especially the part about the bus driver recalling the license plate number of the abductors under hypnosis).

They grow a lot of walnuts and a lot of soybeans (based on what I saw). Downtown there's a great bakery with a huge ceramic oven that the owner told me is at least a hundred years old. The baker gets up at 3:30 every morning to start cooking.

Once a year there's a big speedboat race at a nearby lake.

Chowchilla is also home to two maximum-security women's prisons, including the one that houses California's female death row. That's why we were there.

So while my dad visited his client at the Central California Women's Facility, I walked around town and took a few pictures.

That big green field: those are soybeans, I think.





No comments: